Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Bread for less dough

I remember my mom taking me to the "day-old bread store" as we used to call it.  Mostly I remember begging for the sweet goodies they sold there for next-to-nothing.  Some family traditions should definitely be passed on.  The price of bread these days is enough to give me a heart attack.  The bakery outlet is just what the doctor ordered.

I like to go to the Flowers store.  They have a large variety of bread products priced from 99 cents to about two dollars.  I never have problems finding whole wheat bread for 99 cents, even the double-fiber variety.  When they get a large shipment in, they run "buy one, get one free" specials.  They even sell bagels, English muffins, and tortillas at 99 cents.  Of course, my kids like to go in and beg for the sweet stuff - some things never change.

The best deal at Flowers is if you spend $5, you get another loaf free.  Our family goes through a lot of bread, so spending five bucks has never been a problem.  They also have a punch card system.  They punch one star for every dollar you spend and after 50 punches you get $5 off your next order.  It does take a while to fill a punch card, because after all, the bread is cheap!

2 comments:

  1. 3618 spring forest road, Raleigh. It's across from the Hampton Inn, right off of Captital Blvd.

    ReplyDelete